We had a couple of friends over for dinner last night and I know from years of my Mom making it – Baked Ziti is always a crowd pleaser. My husband actually dreamed up substituting sausage for ground beef and I think it was a great choice! I served it with Caesar salad and fresh garlic bread. I will definitely be making this super easy recipe for years to come.
Easy Baked Ziti, Serves 8
-4 cups spaghetti sauce (I bought jars and used a little under 2 jars but you could also make your own)
-1 16oz package of ziti or penne
-1 pound hot or medium ground sausage (or ground beef or turkey)
-1 15oz container of part-skim ricotta cheese
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1 egg, slightly beaten
-1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 8oz package mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If you are making your own, prepare spaghetti sauce.
3. Boil noodles as directed on box (usually 11-13 minutes) in salted water. Drain.
4. Cook ground sausage until well browned, about 10 minutes. Drain.
5. In a separate bowl mix ricotta, parmesan, beaten egg, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour noodles, spaghetti sauce (save a little bit for step 7), and ricotta mixture in a pot and mix. I used the same pot as I used to boil the noodles.
7. Pour mixture into a 13×9 casserole dish. Drizzle a little extra spaghetti sauce on top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Adapted from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook