Ever since I told you about visiting Momofuku’s Milk Bar in New York I have been dreaming of the birthday cake truffles. So this weekend I set out to make my own version. I don’t really like when cake balls are covered in the hard chocolate outside which is precisely why I loved the truffles at Milk Bar. So, I had an idea…what if they were covered in a sugar glaze – like a glazed donut. Yes, I did go there! Momofuku’s are still better – that’s why they get paid the big bucks. But, I have to say, mine were really good, super easy with help from Miss Betty Crocker, and might end up being a birthday tradition in our house.
Cake Ball Ingredients:
-1 box Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip cake mix (and the ingredients you need to make a 13x9 cake)
-1 can Betty Crocker Rainbow Chip frosting
Sugar Glaze Ingredients:
-1 cup powdered sugar
-2 tablespoons milk (might need more to reach desired consistency)
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Cook cake per directions on the box.
2. Once cake is completely cooled crumble into large bowl. Mix in 1 can of frosting until totally combined.
3. Roll mixture into balls (1″ diameter) and place on a wax papered cookie sheet.
4. Chill for several hours (I did 2 hours in the freezer).
5. Make sugar glaze by taking all 3 ingredients and whisking together until a glaze is formed.
6. Pour glaze over cake balls. Chill in fridge or freezer until served. Store in freezer with layers of wax paper in between.
They are like little cake donut holes! Yumm-o!